Trump calls for ‘no violence’ as more armed protests planned for US and state capitals
President Donald Trump Wednesday posted a video statement via the White House Twitter account saying he condemns the violence caused by a crowd of his supporters who stormed the US Capitol Last week. The post comes as reports indicate the United States may see more armed protests across the country as President-elect Joe Biden approaches. .
“Violence and vandalism have absolutely no place in our country,” Trump said. “Crowd violence goes against everything I believe in and everything our movement stands for. None of my true supporters will ever be able to endorse political violence.”
An internal FBI bulletin obtained by ABC News warns that another armed demonstration could take place on the United States Capitol.
“Armed protests are scheduled in all 50 state capitals from January 16 to January 20 at least, and the US Capitol from January 17 to January 20,” said Aaron Katersky, ABC News correspondent. tweeted about Monday’s FBI bulletin.
on the Capitol Hill attack investigations Tuesday. So far 100,000 pieces of evidence have been gathered regarding the riots.
The FBI said that while it is common practice not to comment on ongoing investigations, it can say that it “supports our state, local and federal law enforcement partners to maintain public safety in communities. that we serve. “
“Our efforts are focused on identifying, investigating and disrupting those individuals who incite violence and engage in criminal activity,” the FBI told CNET in an emailed statement. “We are collecting information to identify any potential threats … we are not focusing on peaceful protesters, but on those who threaten their safety and that of other citizens with violence and destruction of property.”
Capitol Police briefed lawmakers on potential upcoming protests on Monday, according to Huffpost report on a private call between officers and House Democrats. Trump also said in his video message that he had been briefed by the U.S. Secret Service of the potential threats. Federal agencies have been urged to “use whatever resources are necessary to maintain order,” he added, and thousands of National Guard members will work to secure Washington, DC.
“There must be no violence, no breach of the law, or vandalism of any kind,” the president said.
Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel tweeted his concerns Tuesday, saying the state capital “is not safe.”
Twitter, which permanently banned Trump’s account last week, noted that plans for future protests were circulating on and off Twitter. The social media site specifically noted proposed secondary attacks on the United States Capitol and State Capitol buildings on January 17.
Social media companies have repressed Trump after a A crowd of his supporters burst into the Capitol on January 6, leaving five dead and forcing lawmakers to flee as they certify the results of the 2020 election. Twitter ban, Facebook has blocked Trump indefinitely. Since the murderous attack, through the or voluntary resignation.
CNET’s Abrar Al-Heeti contributed to this report.