Best Credit Cards For Refunding Global Entrances
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program, known as Global Entry, allows travelers to pass through customs clearance and immigration lines when they return to the United States after traveling to the foreign. While there is no guarantee as to how much time you can save with this subscription, you can expect your arrival time to be reduced by an hour or more depending on the day.
When you sign up for Global entry, you also receive a Precheck TSA membership, allowing you to enter expedited security lines at US airports. Plus, you can avoid the more tedious elements of regular airport security, like having to take off your shoes and take your laptop out of your bag.
Credit cards cover global registration fees
While none of these memberships are free, a handful of travel credit cards include Global Entry membership or TSA PreCheck® credit as a cardholder’s benefit. This means that once you’ve applied and been approved for a credit card that offers this benefit, you can use the card to pay for either subscription and see the fees refunded automatically.
The top travel and airline credit cards that provide this benefit and many other benefits are as follows:
Chase Sapphire Reserve®: World Entry
- Earn 60,000 bonus points (worth $ 900 while traveling) when you spend $ 4,000 in the first three months of opening an account
- Earn 3X points on travel and dining at restaurants around the world, immediately after earning your annual travel credit of $ 300, 10X points total on Lyft purchases (through March 2022) and 1X points on all others shopping
- $ 550 annual fee
- Key cardholder benefits include an annual travel credit of $ 300 for travel purchases made on your card on each annual account anniversary, Priority Pass ™ Select airport lounge membership, up to $ 120 in statement credits on DoorDash purchases and a one-year Lyft Pink subscription with 15% off goes up
Overall Advantage of Entry: the Chase Sapphire Reserve® comes with up to $ 100 statement credit every four years when you use your credit card to pay Global Entry or TSA Precheck.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: Global Entry
- Get a one-time bonus of 100,000 bonus miles when you spend $ 20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months after account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $ 3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
- Earn unlimited 2X miles for every dollar spent
- $ 95 annual fee
- Key benefits for cardholders include same day loans no fees no credit checks https://oakparkfinancial.com/
- Overall Advantage of Entry: the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card comes with up to $ 100 credit for Global Entry and TSA Precheck every four years when you use your credit card to pay the application fee.
The American Express Platinum Card®: Global Entry
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend $ 5,000 on your card within six months of opening the account
- Earn 5X points on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel (as of January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $ 500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), 5X points on prepaid hotels booked and paid in advance with American Express Travel and 1X points on other purchases
- $ 550 annual fee
- Key cardholder benefits include access to airport lounges, Gold status with Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy, up to $ 200 in airline baggage charge statement credits with a company qualified airline each calendar year for purchases made with your card and up to $ 200 credit for Uber rides each year
Overall Advantage of Entry: The American Express Platinum Card® offers $ 100 credit on Global Entry every four years or $ 85 credit on TSA Precheck every 4.5 years.
United℠ Explorer Card: Global Entry
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles after spending $ 2,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of opening your account. Plus 25,000 extra bonus miles after spending $ 10,000 in the first 6 months
- Earn 2X miles on United Airlines purchases, restaurants and hotel stays purchased directly with the hotel and 1X miles on other purchases
- $ 0 annual fee the first year, then $ 95
- Key cardholder benefits include free first piece of checked baggage on United flights for you and a companion (up to $ 120 each round trip), two unique United Club℠ passes (deposited into your account after opening the account and each year for your cardholder’s birthday), 25% discount on in-flight purchases and priority boarding
Overall Advantage of Entry: The United Explorer card offers up to $ 100 credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck every four years as a refund of the handling fees when you pay with your card.
United Explorer Card information was collected independently by Bankrate.com. Card details have not been reviewed or approved by the card issuer.
How to get a global enrollment fee waiver with a credit card
If you’re considering applying for Global Entry anyway, it’s a good idea to consider a credit card that offers this benefit for free. However, there are a few steps you can take if you want to complete a bulk enrollment request, get your membership approved, and remove the bulk enrollment fee from your credit card bill.
Step 1: Apply for a credit card with a global registration fee credit
The first step is to find a credit card that offers a Global Entry benefit. Be sure to compare credit cards in terms of the additional benefits and rewards they offer, as well as the annual fees charged.
When you find a credit card that meets your needs, apply and complete its application.
Step 2: Create a Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) account
Once you have a credit card that offers Global Entry credit, you need to create a Trusted Travel Programs account. You can do this using this government website.
You’ll need to provide a range of personal information during the process, from your full name and address to your Social Security number, employment information, and any information on your passport.
Step 3: Pay the global registration fee with your credit card
Once you have completed your application for a Trusted Traveler Programs account, you will be required to pay the fee to apply. In order for the global registration fee to be refunded to your credit card, you must use the credit card that offers this benefit to pay.
After you pay the $ 100 Global Entry fee and submit your request, U.S. Customs and Border Protection will begin to review your request.
Step 4: Arrange an Interview and Get Approved
If your application is conditionally approved, you will be asked to arrange an in-person interview. Note that you can only complete your interview at a Global Entry registration post, and these locations are not available in all major cities.
Either way, find the nearest registration center and make an appointment.
Step 5: Watch for the charge credit to appear on your credit card statement
Whether or not you are approved for Global Entry, your credit card issuer will automatically apply your Global Entry fee credit to your account. Keep in mind that credit cards that offer this benefit typically allow you to use it every four years. Since the Global Entry membership lasts for five years, that means you can use your credit to renew your Global Entry membership forever.
Frequently asked questions about Global Entry
Before you apply for a credit card based on your Global Entry benefit, there are a lot of details to understand about this program first. Here are some of the key data points to keep in mind when applying.
How does Global Entry work?
Global Entry is a government-backed program that allows you to submit your information and receive expedited security access when you arrive at US airports after traveling overseas. This program allows you to bypass regular customs and immigration lines and go through separate Global Entry lines with other Global Entry members, which can easily save you hours upon arrival in the United States.
How much does Global Entry cost?
Global Entry membership costs $ 100, while TSA PreCheck® membership costs just $ 85. Both memberships last for five years.
It’s important to note that Global Entry membership includes TSA PreCheck® membership, so you can get membership in both programs for one fee.
How long does the Global Entry approval process take?
Global Entry applications can take up to six months to be approved. However, most membership approvals happen much faster.
If you have submitted a request, you can log into your Authorized Traveler Programs account to check the status at any time.